Who gets a copy of a will after a testator dies?
Estate attorneys determine who is entitled to receive a copy of the Will, independent of any state law.
Here’s a list of people who may receive a copy of a Will:
- The heirs at law and/or prior beneficiaries
- The personal representative named in the Will
- The beneficiaries named in the Will
- The Successor Trustee of the testator's revocable living trust
- The accountant for the Estate
- The IRS and/or State Taxing Authority
Although Wills are public record, the Last Will and Testament is not required by law to be read out loud to anyone.