Gessimbergue S. Monteiro, Esq., LL.M. is an Associate Attorney at Morris Law Group. Mr. Monteiro concentrates his practice in the following areas: U.S. and international estate planning, U.S. and international taxation, wills and trusts, pre-immigration tax planning, business succession planning, wealth management and investment tax planning, and U.S. and international tax and reporting compliance. He advises high-net-worth families on estate and gift tax and trust planning for family succession purposes, including business succession planning and pre-immigration tax planning. He also advises family offices on the design of cutting-edge strategies and implementation of tax-efficient structures for wealth preservation and investment management.
Born and raised in Brazil, Mr. Monteiro received his B.S. in Law from Universidade Paulista, in São Paulo, Brazil, and his Juris Doctor and Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Taxation from the University of Miami in Coral Gables, Florida. At the University of Miami, he was the recipient of the Director’s Award for Taxation of Outbound Transactions. He is admitted to the Brazilian Bar, Subchapter São Paulo, and to The Florida Bar. Mr. Monteiro is fluent in English and Spanish and is a native Portuguese speaker. He is available to consult with clients in all three languages in person at our offices or via telephone or video conferencing.
Prior to joining Morris Law Group, Mr. Monteiro worked as an Associate Attorney at two law firms in Brazil designing various tax-efficient strategies and implementing estate planning for high-net-worth families and family-run companies. In the United States, Mr. Monteiro clerked for several Miami law firms assisting attorneys in designing estate tax planning structures for domestic and international clients, drafting trust agreements and estate planning documents, performing legal research and analysis on complex U.S. grantor trust issues, gift tax consequences and reporting requirements for U.S. beneficiaries of foreign trusts. He also served as a senior manager for a leading global trust company working on the design and implementation of estate and asset protection planning and wealth management strategies for high-net-worth families and family offices in the United States and Latin America.
Mr. Monteiro is affiliated with the American Bar Association, The Florida Bar, and the Dade-County Bar Association, and is a member of the Tax Law, the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law, and the International Law sections of The Florida Bar, and is a member of the American Bar Association Tax Section. Also, he is active in the community with the Young Leaders Committee of United Way of Miami-Dade and the Young Professionals Committee of the Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce of Florida. Mr. Monteiro writes for and contributes to the Morris Law Group newsletter, blog and YouTube video channel.
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning
- U.S. and International Taxation
- Wills and Trusts
- Pre-Immigration Planning
- U.S. Real Estate and Portfolio Investment Planning, Structuring and Implementation
- U.S. Fiscal Information Reporting
- Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA)
- Common Reporting Standards (CRS)
- Withholding Tax Compliance
- Universidade Paulista, São Paulo, Brazil - B.S. in Law (J.D. equivalent)
- University of Miami Law School - J.D.
- University of Miami - LL.M. in Taxation
- Admitted to the Brazilian Bar, Subchapter Sao Paulo in 2004
- Admitted to The Florida Bar in 2020
- American Bar Association
- Dade-County Bar Association
- Member of the Tax, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law, and the International Law sections of The Florida Bar
- Member of the Tax Section of the American Bar Association
- Director’s Award for Taxation of Outbound Transactions, University of Miami
- Young Leaders Committee of United Way of Miami-Dade
- Young Professionals Committee of the Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce of Florida